AP Calculus AB
Calculus is the study of differentials and integrals that help us study change that happens in an instant. Any system that experiences change can be studied, and outcomes predicted, using calculus. This means that students will study this topic who plan to go into a variety of fields, from physics to economics, and this first course will help set the solid foundation they will use to learn more about our changing world through the lens of mathematics.
What is calculus?
At Aim Academy Online we use Canvas as our learning management system (LMS) and have the enterprise version, which affords us lots of great features to make student learning better. All student work and communication is conducted through the course shell on Canvas. Canvas can be accessed using any browser and also has companion apps for tablets and phones. Within Canvas, students will learn through multiple ways including visual, auditory, and tactile. I strive to provide a learning environment that is successful regardless of your personal learning style and provide a lot of flexibility as far as how to learn the content of the course.
Each week we will have a 1-hour live class session (optional, but highly recommended), during which we will review concepts, answer questions, and explore the topics together. We often have an opportunity to participate in discussions and play games during our live class. This time is not part of the student’s grade, but gives a much needed opportunity to meet other students in the class and learn from each other. The students I teach hail from around the country (and sometimes around the world) and bring their unique perspective to the many issues we discuss in class. I encourage all students to attend the live classes if possible, but if they cannot make them due to other commitments, they are required to watch the class recording.
- Writing instruments: color nonspecific; HOWEVER, please do not write in highlighter
- Calculator (TI-Nspire CX II or TI-Nspire CX II CAS recommended as this is what I’ll use for demonstrations. See College Board’s Calculator Policy.)
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Additional books and resources may be recommended during the year. A lab material list is available below.
- Readings and Practice: 25%
- Labs: 25%
- Exams: 40%
- Student Professionalism: 10%
Extra Credit will be available at the teacher’s sole discretion and is NOT guaranteed.
Who Should Enroll?
The qualified student:
- is in 9-12th grades (this is mandated by College Board in order to award AP® credit).
- has taken precalculus or trigonometry and scored a B or better.
- has strong reading and writing skills.
- can work independently and ask for help when necessary.
Starting 2021/2022 there will be an application process to enroll in APCAB with Aim Academy Online.
Like what you see and want to register? Head over to https://debrabell.com/product/ap-environmental-science/ to reserve your spot today!
* AP® is a trademark registered and/or owned by the College Board which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse this site.